It is my belief that how we see the present will always shape our vision of the future.
I’m Steve, a photographer and an Anglican Priest with over 20 years experience. I founded Soulful Vision in 2018 a few years after I left the military.
From a young age I’ve had an enjoyment of photography and after my military service trained as a professional photographer. It was whilst I was completing the photography assignments for this diploma I discovered photography helped me see myself and the world in a new way. Your visual observation, noticing things, is an important part of our military conduct on foot patrols, and it seemed this spilled over into how I see today – I notice lots of small things which helps me discover beauty in unlikely places.
I grew up in the Lake District which gave me a love of the outdoors and fell walking. I’m a keen sailor and accredited RYA buddy sailor with Sailability, a charity which makes sailing accessible to people of different abilities. My working life started as a farm labourer in the Lakes. I then worked on the estate of a conference and retreat centre in Devon called Lee Abbey, followed by a short career in business, and then trained for ordination in 1993. I joined the RAF as a chaplain in 2000. My experience of war has left me with a passion to help people find peace by seeing in new ways.
When I’m not leading retreats and workshops, you’ll find me studying for my PhD. I’m a doctoral student, researching post traumatic growth from moral injury after trauma, through contemplative photography. I also have a BTh (hons) in theology, and a MSc in Psychiatry & War along with certificates in counselling and MHFA.
I’ve had personal experience of mental health having suffered from depression, anxiety and moral injury, the latter following my last deployment to Afghan. Soulful Vision brings together my study and experience.
My hope is that through my work I help people see with renewed vision and imagination, discovering the wonder and beauty which is present in each of us and the places we inhabit
Learn how to find moments of calm through mindfulness using your smartphone camera
- MSc, War & Psychiatry (King’s College London)
- BTh (Hons), Theology (Nottingham University)
- Intermediate Command & Staff Course (Defence Academy, UK)
- Diploma in Professional Photography
- National Diploma in Agriculture
- Professional Cert in Management (OUBS)
- Certificate in Counselling Theory
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Mental Health First Aid
- Chief Operating Officer (Guild of Health)
- Radley Photography (self employed)
- RAF Chaplain
- Curate (Church of England)
- Financial Controller (Logical Choice Ltd)
- Treasurer (Huntingdon Parish)
- Treasurer (GWS Sailability)
- Treasurer (RAF CSFC Fund)
- RYA approved sailor for Sailability
Honours & Awards
- RAF Long Service & Good Conduct Medal
- Operational Service Medal with bar – Afghanistan
- Operational Service Medal – Iraq
- HM The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal
- Ambassador – Guild of Photographers
- Amateur Photographer Unsung Hero 2021